Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Meme

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
I LOVE wrapping paper and ribbons, but when you’re in a rush, or have an unusual shaped gift, you can’t beat a good bag. Plus, bags can be used over and over which has to be more environmentally friendly.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Real, because the Men’s Club my husband is in sells them, but I secretly yearn for a hassle-free fake tree.
3. When do you put up the tree?
After Will’s birthday (December 7th). We feel it’s important to celebrate just him.
4. When do you take the tree down?
I’m ready to take it down now, but we’ll wait until New Year’s. The cats are loving it too much.
5. Hot chocolate or apple cider?Hot chocolate after our annual drive to see the Christmas lights.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
A Child’s Garden of Verses at a time when I truly believed in Santa and fairies, and a musical jewelry box with a ballerina who twirled when you opened the box.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. We have creshes from France, Mexico, and a Play Mobile one.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
Parents and in-laws because it feels like they have everything they need. This year I found them art pieces at the Chicago Art Institute, tea and honey from Teavana, and battery powered automatic can openers (a surprise huge hit).
9. Easiest person to buy for?
The boys. They’re at the age when they’re getting into technology and we got Will his first Nano and Reese got the Wii.
10. Worst Christmas gift ever received?
Pink wide-whale cords when my husband and I first started dating. No single piece of clothing has ever looked so bad on me.
11. Mail or email Christmas card?
We mail them, but this year we received a couple of cute email greetings. We also received a few cd greetings through the mail that are incredibly creative.
12. Favorite Christmas movie?
A Christmas Story
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
All year, but I completely forget what I buy. Next year, I’m going to keep the gift closet organized with a checklist.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I can’t bring myself to. I end up passing stuff on to the “Helpie Selfie” box in the teacher’s lounge at work or giving it to someone who might be able to use it.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Buche de Noel, clementines eaten with graham crackers and chocolate, chocolate coins, and so much more.
16. Clear lights or colored?
White, but next year I want to go back to color.
17. Favorite Christmas song?
Sarah McLaughlin’s Wintersong
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Fortunalely we live in the same city as both sides of the family.
19. Can you name Santa's reindeer?
I know, Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, Donner (Donder?) and Blitzen, and I recall the most famous reindeer of all...Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.
20. Angel or star on top of the tree?
Angel, but my husband broke off her wings years ago.
21. Do you like egg nog?
No
22. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
Christmas Eve we open one set of stockings at my in-laws, we open our stockings and gifts at home Christmas morning, travel to my parents for Christmas brunch and presents, then have Christmas dinner, and open more gifts, at my brother-in-laws for Christmas dinner.
23. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Realizing you’re not done shopping, even when you think you are
24. What do you leave for Santa?
Cookies and milk for Santa, and carrots and lettuce for the reindeer.
25. Favorite ornament?
Too many to name, but I’m especially fond of ones from my childhood because they bring a rush of memories, and the ones my boys made when they were little.

No comments: